You are here
From the time the château was created in 1834 until its present-day boundaries were fixed in 1871, Cheval Blanc became a legend.
Since it takes two parents to have children, it can be said that Cheval Blanc was born of the marriage between Merlot, the traditional grape variety in Saint-Émilion and Pomerol, and Cabernet Franc. Helped by the fact that phylloxera spared the estate in the late 19th century, the château’s reputation grew and grew. In fact, the wine was in strong demand in port cities and trading posts around the world... London, Paris, Antwerp, etc. The 20th century brought truly international recognition.
In 1954, Cheval Blanc was classified a Premier Grand Cru Classé A, and this supreme distinction has been confirmed in every subsequent classification.
A special spirit
Since 1998, Bernard Arnault and Baron Frère have perpetuated Cheval Blanc’s tradition of excellence, while introducing elegant modern influences. Baron Frère is a member of the board of directors of some of the most powerful financial and industrial groups in Europe. A true connoisseur, he is passionate, respectful and curious about fine wine.
As for Bernard Arnault, his name is forever linked with that of LVMH, the world’s leading luxury goods group, with such fabulous brands as Dior, Krug, Moët-Hennessy, Louis Vuitton, and Château d’Yquem. By serving Cheval Blanc to his guests and making sure that it graces fine tables around the world, he added even more lustre to the wine.
Planned for quite some time, the construction of new buildings and a new cellar became a reality in 2011. The owners of Cheval Blanc wanted to create a “wine workshop” that also makes a strong architectural statement in tune with the 21st century, while reflecting its status as a famous great growth. This challenge was met by the 1994 Pritzker Prize winning architect, Christian de Portzamparc, who designed a winery totally integrated with its surroundings.