You are here
The estate is bordered to the north by Pétrus, and is only separated from Cheval Blanc to the south (in the Saint-Émilion appellation) by a country road.
The property was constituted in the 18th century by the Léglise family and was renamed L’Évangile at the turn of the 19th century.
In 1862, L’Évangile was acquired by Paul Chaperon, whose heirs, the Ducasse family, were owners until 1990. As early as 1868, it was considered the Premier Cru du Haut Pomerol (2nd edition of Cocks and Féret).
Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) acquired Château L’Évangile in 1990. The first manifestation of their influence was a more rigorous selection for the grand vin and the creation of a second wine, Blason de L’Évangile. A vineyard replanting programme was also initiated in 1998. The new configuration was finalised in 2004 with the renovation of the vat room and cellars. These efforts have been conducive to a decade of remarkable vintages.
Sand and clay with pure gravel and a subsoil with crasse de fer (ironpan)
80 % Merlot
20 % Cabernet franc
New barrels : 70 %
Blason de L’Évangile