You are here

La Tour de By

Frédéric Le Clerc - Benjamin Richer de Forges
Vines have been grown at La Tour de By since the 16th century, and records show that the château was acquired by Pierre Tizon, lord of the fiefdom of By, in 1599.

The tour, or tower, symbolising the estate is a former lighthouse built in the middle of the vines in 1825 to guide sailors navigating the Gironde estuary on foggy nights.

Marc Pagès, an agricultural engineer from Tunisia, purchased this beautiful estate in the northern Médoc in 1965 and was responsible for its rebirth. He was assisted by advice from Professor Émile Peynaud, who contributed enormously to making the most of the remarkable terroir.

Marc Pagès was one of the first French soldiers to participate in the liberation of Strasbourg alongside General Leclerc, in the second armoured division. He unquestionably brought Château La Tour de By up to its full potential in the four decades during which he managed it.

Frédéric Le Clerc continues his grandfather’s efforts according to a philosophy combining quality, precision winemaking, and respect for tradition.

Le Clerc
Château La Tour de By
( Médoc )
Richer de Forges
Commercial Director
Château La Tour de By
( Médoc )
Château La Tour de By
5 rue de la Tour de By
+33 (0)5 56 41 50 03
The Château in figures
Area under wine

110 hectares


480,000 bottles


Gravel with iron hardpan subsoil

Grape varieties

60 % Cabernet Sauvignon

35 % Merlot

5 % Petit Verdot

Barrel ageing

12 months

New barrels: 30%

Second wine

La Roque de By