You are here

Château
Rauzan-Gassies

Margaux
Grand Cru Classé en 1855
The Quié family
The origins of the noble house of Gassies in the Médoc go back to medieval times. The Lords of Gassies were considered knights, and owed allegiance to the owners of Château Margaux.

Monsieur de Rauzan acquired the seigneury in 1661 and is responsible for establishing the reputation of its wine. The estate was divided into two parts in 1785. The name of one of these, Rauzan-Gassies, very much reflects its historic roots.

Since 1946, second growth Château Rauzan-Gassies has belonged to the Quié family, who also owns châteaux Croizet- Bages (a great growth of Pauillac) and Bel Orme Tronquoy de Lalande.

Monsieur Paul Quié undertook a major renovation of the vineyard during the postwar period. This was finalised by his son, Jean-Michel, who took over management in 1968.

He is assisted by his children, Anne-Françoise and Jean-Philippe, in overseeing the three family châteaux.

Their passion for fine wine is very much in the tradition of the great growths of Bordeaux, and one of Jean-Michel Quié’s greatest pleasures is to share his wine with people who are dear to him.

Jean-Michel
Quié
Owner
Château Rauzan-Gassies
( Margaux )
Anne-Françoise
Quié
Owner
Château Rauzan-Gassies
( Margaux )
Jean-Philippe
Quié
Owner
Château Rauzan-Gassies
( Margaux )
Château Rauzan-Gassies
1 rue Alexis Millardet
  - 
33460
 
Margaux
Tel.
+33 (0)5 57 88 71 88
How to pronouce Château Rauzan-Gassies ?
The Château in figures
Area under wine

28.5 hectares
 

Production

80,000 bottles
 

Soil

Deep gravel, gravel and sand

Grape varieties

65 % Cabernet Sauvignon

25 % Merlot

5 % Petit Verdot

5 % Cabernet franc
 

Barrel ageing

12 months

New barrels: 50-55%

Second wine

Gassies