You are here

Château
La Lagune

Haut-Médoc
Grand Cru Classé en 1855
The Frey family
Château La Lagune is located on a terrace of alluvial gravel parallel to the palus (rich soil that is productive, but not for quality wine) bordering the river.

The “Village de La Lagune” was built here in 1525. Circa 1587, a certain Monsieur Eyral built a tenant farm in its place and gradually invested in transforming several modest leaseholds into a major winegrowing estate.

He was succeeded by numerous owners and the lovely château we know today was built between 1730 and 1734. In 1855, La Lagune joined the select club of grands crus classés as a third growth. The Sèze family acquired La Lagune in 1886 and it stayed with them until 1956. They sold to Georges Brunet, who gave an important new impetus to the estate before in turn selling it to the family who owned Champagne Ayala in 1964.

The Frey family arrived in 2000. They have made large-scale investments in the vineyard, cellars, and château aiming for excellence at all levels.

Caroline
Frey
Owner
Château La Lagune
( Haut-Médoc )
Jean Luc
Chapel
Brand Ambassador
Château La Lagune
( Haut-Médoc )
Château La Lagune
33290
 
Ludon-Médoc
Tel.
+33 (0)5 57 88 82 77
The Château in figures
Area under wine

110 hectares
 

Production

150,000 bottles
 

Soil

Gravel

Grape varieties

60 % Cabernet Sauvignon

30 % Merlot

10 % Petit Verdot
 

Barrel ageing

18 months

New barrels: 50%

Second wine

Moulin de La Lagune